This tutorial will teach you how to install the Multi Theft Auto multiplayer mod to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. If you have any questions or problems installing the mod, use the comments section below.
- If you don't own a copy already, you can purchase the game here.
- Make sure you have the game fully downloaded via the Steam client before proceeding to the following steps.
- Close Steam.
- For more information regarding the downgrader application, click here for the original post.
Because the Steam version of the game is version 3.00 and the mod only works on version 1.00, you will need a downgrader.
- Download the the San Andreas Downgrader here.
- Once downloaded, open up the folder and open 'run'. Windows will tell you that the application may depend on other compressed files in the folder.
- Select 'Extract All', then 'Extract'. A new window will pop up with your extracted files. Keep the window open as you'll need it soon.
- Now go to Start menu> Computer> Open your main drive files (most likely drive C:)> Program Files (x86)> Steam>steamapps> common> Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.
- Drag the file titled 'gta_sa' into the 'gta.sa-downgrader' folder.
- In the unzipped downgrader folder, right click on the file titled 'run' and select 'Run as administrator' from the right click menu. Select 'Yes'.
- Like the application says, press any key to continue.
- Press '1' and hit enter. The application will downgrade the game .exe file for you.
- It will ask if you want to copy the patched file into the Steam directory. Press 'Y' and hit enter.
- Press any key to continue.
- Press 'N' and hit enter to not launch the game and press any key to continue. We're almost done!
- Now go to MultiTheftAuto.com and download the newest version of the client.
- Open the file and hit 'Run', click next. A Windows notification will appear, hit 'Yes'.
- Select 'I Agree' to the License Agreement.
- In this next menu, you can choose what you will install to your system. Generally, this is for advanced users. The default option is 'Client and Server' which is basically everything you need. Continue through the install process.
If you followed these instructions correctly, Multi Theft Auto should have successfully launched.